Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Celebrating Alex

I would like to take an opportunity to celebrate my youngest son's 2nd birthday. Alexander Hengsterman was born April 12, 2004. Much like his namesake, colonial luminary Alexander Hamilton, baby Alex is a fighter. Born with Down Syndrome and three congenital heart defects Alex survived his first open heart surgery on April 19th 2004. After a 30 day stay in The Albany Medical Center's ICU, we returned home to nurse Alex back to health and get him strong enough for open heart surgery #2 on December 7th 2004. During our 45 days in the Albany Medical Center we witnessed firsthand the Intensive Care Unit's doctors and nurses work around the clock the give Alex a chance to celebrate his first birthday. It is impossible to put into words the depths of our gratitude. It doesn't seem possible, but two years have passed. If I could turn back the clock to April 11th 2004, knowing what I know now, I would not change a thing. An extensive network of family, friends, co-workers, therapists, doctors, and nurses have become what Stacey and I refer to as Team Alex. One little boy the focus of so much love and appreciation. As part of Alex's birthday celebration I plan on personally calling, writing, or e-mailing Team Alex and letting them know how much I appreciate what they have done for my little guy. I will start with his big brother Jackson - a caring and compassionate five year old who has embraced his role a guardian and protector of Alex. He models this behavior after my wife Stacey - the captain of Team Alex :). I am blessed on so many levels. I thought it would be nice to get that on the record. Happy Birthday Alex!!!!

1 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alex!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home