Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Evolution of an occasional Blogger

I am coming to the close of my first academic year as a member of the blog and podcast nation. What a interesting journey. True to form, the moment I embrace any new technology or software I create more work for myself trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my daily routine. This point is not lost on my wife. When I emerge from the basement on a caffeine induced experiment with Audacity, she will patiently ask me if I have finished painting the fence. She is all about the bottom line and I enjoy the fact that she keeps me grounded. She is supportive of my efforts. For example, she encouraged me to create a blog post about how I painted the fence. I could include brush stoke techniques, the color of paint I used, and a JPEG of the finished project. Go get'em tiger!!!

Here is a complete history of my blogging career. You may notice that most of my blog and podcast action takes place around school breaks and holidays.

October 23, 2005 - My first blog post from my SociologyEchoes blogsite.
October 26, 2005 - I rename my Sociology Echoes site The Human Zoo because I forgot the password to Sociology Echoes. I then realize you can create multiple accounts for one user name. Brilliant!!
November 30, 2005 - I make 2 posts to www.thehumanzoo.blogspot.com
December 26-27, 2005 - I create several new blogger accounts and begin regular posts at http://historyshack.blogpsot.com. I spent most of my time trying to come up with a catchy name for my blog and podcasts. This became time consuming because many of my choices were already taken. So I decided to connect my blog site name to my class website historyshack.com. To make things a little more confusing I decided to call my podcast " Making History"
January -March 2006 - I created 17 drafts or posts to my blog. Basically just things that are going on in my classroom and some elementary observations. Nothing earth shattering

March 17, 2006 - I produced my first podcast "Making History - The Spoken Word" I sound monotone and need to stop using the word fantastic.
April 12, 2006 - I celebrate my son Alex's second birthday in blogstyle!!
April 14 -20 2006 - During April break I decide to take my blog and podcast in a different direction. I have found the trifecta - a catchy name for my podcast, an available blogspot site and an available gmail site. Now I am officially in business. Scheduled Debut May 1, 2006
April 20, 2006 - I produce my second podcast. It is actually a months worth of spoken word recordings mashed together. I am very close to fine tuning the process.

I am now going to finish painting the fence

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home